A Sighting!

 Oh, oh!  Did you see it?  Did you?

There.  Right there!  See it? Oh, this is so exciting!

Wait, wait, let me make a note in my journal before I go on. I'd hate myself forever if I forgot this.

All right. I've written it down.  A moment I'll never forget:

The first snow plows of the season are on the roads!  Right now, right in front of my own home!

I've never seen one so early in the year!  Have you?  No?  I didn't think so. That's what makes it so special, isn't it?

They're so sweet when they first appear, don't you think? So shy and tentative. Like tiny little birds waking up from a long nap. Imagine the mama plow, gently nudging her babies out of the nest. Plow, my lovelies, plow! Clear the streets for the salt trucks and the school buses! Mother is so proud of you!

Yes, it's the 20th of October, and it's time for the first snowstorm of the season.  No waiting around until November for us! Remember we are trend-setters in Minnesota!

Of course Desperate wasn't around then, but back in '91- that's 1998, not 1891- the Upper Midwest got his by what became known as the Halloween Blizzard. Between October 31 and November 3 the storm dropped some 39 inches on parts of Central Minnesota, while the Twin Cities got 8+ inches on Halloween alone. Four weeks later, the same areas got anohter 18 inches. 

And so it went, all winter long. When spring finally arrived gardeners were digging frozen and/or rotted jack o' lanterns out of their yards.

Luckily I don't hae much in the way of Halloween decorations up. But I do have my red white and blue Election Year lights up and glowing.

I hope they make it until Christmas.


Comments

Popular Posts