It All Comes Back To Me Now...

Ever hear the expression "like a kid at Christmastime?"

You know how children can get around Christmas. I mean, besides maddening. They're excited,they're impatient, they can't wait another day. The Big Event has to happen now now NOW.

Well that's the way DIH has been feeling lately. The Big Event she is waiting for is the arrival of a box of books.

Her books. The actual hardback copies of "Breakfast With The Pope."

It's the first thing she thinks about, the last thing she thinks about, and in between she keeps checking e-mail and the front porch for any signs of their arrival.

Childish? Oh yes. Absolutely. Also unproductive, time-wasting, self-indulgent, the list goes on. Yet she can't help herself, she really can't.

I think this must be the best time in the life of any writer, the space between "your book has gone to press" and anyone actually reading it. Because now you are free to fantasize. I mean, think about it: so far no one has had a chance to say "I hated your book." So far everything is positive and perfect and full of hope. Sure, you're a little antsy. But for once it's a fun antsy. It isn't "O dear God when will I ever finish this thing" or "if one more person asks 'how' the book coming along' I'm going to burst into tears."

Nope, it's none of those. It's "I can't wait to see how it looks! I can't wait to hold it in my hands! I can't wait another minute!"

This is fun. It's really, really fun.

Comments

Popular Posts