Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ciao from Roma

Years from now people will ask Desperate, ""Desperate, where were you when the white smoke went up?  When the first Argentine pope stepped out on the balcony?""

I would love to be able to say I was in Rome.  But the truth is I was in the airport in Atlanta, waiting for  my connecting flight to Rome.  Saw the whole thing on TV, though.  Comforted myself with the thought that at least I wasn't standing in the pouring rain in  St Peter's Square.

Anywa we're here now, at a residence right next to the Vatican that looks down on SAt Peter's Square.  Relevance of this location:  the whole place is packed with TV trucks.  We keep tripping over cables.  Saw a guy sound asleep in a car that had a placard, "CBS News."  Oh, and I think the Vatican choirs are rehearsing for the pope's installation already.  We keep hearing choral singing, plus a lot of bells bonging.  Hope they knock off before ten.

Rome is as beautiful and intriguing as ever.  Spent the afternoon in Trastevere and-- and I want Lenten credit for this--DID NOT BUY A SINGLE GELATO.

Yet.

No comments: