Happy Campers

My husband and child are off on a "father /daughter" camping trip. DIH is still in shock over this development, for a variety of reasons.

For one thing, my husband has not been camping since he was a Boy Scout. Unless you count that time he and a buddy ran out of gas somewhere near Woodstock and had to spend the night in the car. But that's another story.

For another, before we were married he swore he'd never go camping again. Mankind spent centuries perfecting indoor plumbing, he said. Who was he to turn his back on it? No no no. Indoor accomodations for him, thank you very much.

But he jumped in with both feet this time. Went to Target and bought a tent and everything. Even practiced setting it up in our back yard, just so he wouldn't look like a total amateur in front of the other campers. Who, incidentally, are mosly Minnesotans. These people go camping in the winter, for God's sake. They are really nuts about it. And I mean really, as in, they need help.

My daughter, who is six, had only one comment: "I think Daddy and I are brigning more stuff than anyone else." This is almost certainly the case. We shall see how well it all goes. I'm keeping my cell phone handy all weekend.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:56 AM

    I am very impressed and also shocked! It is amazing what people will do for their offspring.

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:19 PM

    My husband took my daughter to Indian Princess campouts twice a year until she was too old to do it anymore. I LOVED those weekends alone until we adopted, and "alone" meant parenting a baby alone. Now that baby is 5 and the girl is 17. The "baby" and Daddy go off on Indian Guide campouts several times a year and I'm "alone" again because my 17 year old daughter doesn't want to spend every minute with me like a baby does! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts