I Probably Need Someone To Check My Theology

I have a pretty cool coffee mug I use nearly every day. It has the entire text of 1 Corinthians: 13 printed on it in tiny white letters. If you want to read the whole thing you have to look close and keep spinning the mug in your hand. Not such a great idea when the coffee is hot, but the more it cools the easier it is to read, and I have been known to read it through of a morning.

The other morning I was pondering certain attributes of love as described by St Paul. Love, among other things, is never jealous, not easily provoked; it is not self- seeking; it keeps no record of wrongs.

Hm, I said to myself. I tried to think how to apply this in m own humble existence, and I came up with a simple formula: basically, love doesn't give a c--p.

Now seriously. Is that not a fair interpretation of someone who never gets angry (or even), doesn't care what toys the other guy has, and has no personal ambition?

It's actually a relaxing thought. Hey, I want to love the way I'm supposed to. And the only way I see towards that goal is to stop caring what happens to me, stop striving after self-aggrandizing goals (be honest, how many other kids of goals are there), stop comparing my '95 Subaru to your '09 Lexus and heaving a long, slow sigh... it makes Love sound like a freakin' vacation, doesn't it?

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." Except for that "hope" part, does this not come down to "love puts up with any pains in the butt the world cares to hand out"?

And now that I think of it, that kind of love sounds pretty attainable. I bet anyone could do it.

Maybe I'm onto something here. Maybe I could start selling "inspirational" coffee mugs, too: "Love. It Doesn't Give A C--p."

I gotta check out Cafe Press.

Comments

Popular Posts