Nutrition Notes

The Fourth of July weekend has come and gone. DIH and her cohorts did the country proud this year. We attended two county fairs, one sprawling picnic and an awesome fireworks display.

And, as required by Minnesota state law, we partook of all the main carnival food groups.

1. The Deep-Fried food group. There's no way around it: just about everything tastes better deep fried. Things that are otherwise inedible- crickets, for instance, or zucchini flowers- are delicious deep fried. With a little ketchup and lot of salt. Yum. Although I must admit I passed up the chance to indulge in Batter-Dipped Frogs' Legs. Somehow I didn't think I could handle the ecstasy.

2. The On-A-Stick food group. While there is a certain amount of crossover here with the D-F group, there are many independents and all are worth a try. Once, anyway. The weekend favorite was the Pork Chop on a Stick. Nothing reminds one of the miracle of Lawry's Seasoned Salt quite like it.

3. The Syrup group. Over pancakes, mixed into seltzer or merely stuck on the fingers, the syrup group is an essential. All your major carbs are there. Especially when it comes to pouring the stuff over shaved ice. The antioxidant powers of Blue Raspberry, DIH feels, are much underrated in out society. I say get out there and stain those tongues. Good for the immune system and do I have to mention the entertainment value? I don't think so.

4. The Free Sample food group. Everything from fruit smoothies to squirtable cheese. A small nation could survive on the food samples dished out over the Fourth of July weekend. Maybe one or two should. We are still the Land of the Free, after all. Next year I must remember to gather up some huddled masses before I hit the fair circuit. They make me proud to be an American.

Comments

Popular Posts