Everything You Need to KNow About the New York Times' War Correspondents

"What Cats Know About War


By JOHN F. BURNS
Published: October 14, 2007
"IT was a bitterly cold night in the Baghdad winter of 2005, somewhere in the predawn hours before the staccato of suicide bombs and mortars and gunfire that are the daily orchestration of the war. Alone in my office in The Times’s compound beside the Tigris River, I was awaiting the telephoned “goodnight” from The Times foreign desk, eight time zones west, signaling that my work for the next day’s paper was done.

"That is when I heard it: the cry of an abandoned kitten, somewhere out in the darkness, calling for its mother somewhere inside the compound. By an animal lover’s anthropomorphic logic, those desperate calls, three nights running, had come to seem more than the appeal of a tiny creature doomed to a cold and lonely death. Deep in the winter night, they seemed like a dismal tocsin for all who suffer in a time of war."

Does DIH really have to say anything?
Please tell me I don't have to say anything.

Comments

  1. I bet the NYT war correspondent promptly published teh kitten's whereabouts and daily movements for the benefit of all the mad dogs of neighborhood.

    "After all, Dobermans have a right to know."

    -J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts