"If Mothers Ruled the World...."

When I first heard the Fox broadcast of last night's Emmy Awards shortened a speech by Sally Field, I thought, That was nice of them. I mean, she's never really lived down that "You LIKE me!" gush, has she?

But I read on. Sally was apparently giving an anti-war speech. As the LA Times reports:

"Producers of Sunday's Emmy telecast bleeped best drama actress winner Sally Field in the midst of a controversial acceptance speech attacking U.S. involvement in Iraq. 'If mothers ruled the world, there wouldn't be any god -' she said when the sound went dead and the camera suddenly turned away from the stage so viewers would be distracted. Chopped off were the words "god-damned wars in the first place.' (The phrase was not censored in the Canadian telecast.)"

Now here is food for thought indeed. DIH had two, a record before her second cup of joe.

1. Thought number one: How many kids did Catherine the Great have again?

2. Thought number two: OK, say mothers really did rule the world. We'd all be in therapy for the rest of our lives. Oh sure, kids would pick up their toys if they wanted to avoid the hoosegow, and you might see a few more beds get made. But ask yourself, would it be worth it?

Oh Sally, meditate on the wise words of Woody Allen in "Manhattan," when he tells Diane Keaton that his son is being raised by his ex-wife and her live-in girlfriend.

Diane Keaton: Oh, they've done studies on that. It's fine. It's like having two mothers.
Woody: In my experience most people barely survive one mother.

Somebody e-mail Sally and remind her about the Amazons.

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:19 PM

    Maybe Sally should do a little more thinking before speaking the next time she wins an award. Just a thought...
    Bible Babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lord, not ANOTHER sexist pig!

    When I was in high school, we worked hard and got enough money to take most of the class to DC. (those who worked hard and sold a bunch of oranges, actually)

    There, we met folks from all around the country, of our age.

    Some young female decided that I, being bespectacled, a little heavy set and practically garbed, must be sympathetic to her view that if only women ruled the world, there'd be no war, all would be perfect.

    I didn't use Catherine the great, but I think the shock of having a "sympathetic" person tear apart her stupidity may have made the girl cry. I know if I'd been a male, I'd have been accused of sexism-- and the irony of it still makes me laugh.

    "Ooh! I'll decided that half the world is utterly perfect! What, you disagree with my sex-based stereotype? SEXIST!!!!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts