True Confessions

Our parish had its annual pre-Easter Penance Service last night. Although why they call it a "service" I don't know. It bore no resemblance to the "penance services" of my college days, where everybody sang songs, watched liturgical dancers doing a "reconciliation dance"- you know, the one where they wear purple leotards (that was pretty penitential, I guess), and then attended a "poor people's supper." This last meant we shared soup and bread to show our solidarity with the truly desperate. A regular Calcutta.

But like I said, Holy Family's penance service was nothing like that. Instead what they had was nine, count 'em,nine priests, stashed behind screens in every nook and cranny of the little church. This was why the side entrances were closed off with yellow "Police Line" tape. They were using the vestibules for confessionals.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation- formerly known as the Sacrament of Penance, more colloquially "confession"- holds a certain fascination for some people. A few months back some jerk in Britain went to a dozen different priests, confessed bogus sins and then taped the priest's responses. HIs groundbreaking report- that different priests said different things- made headlines around the world. Which proves that even in an age of Islamic terrorism the world of journalism is still hard up for headlines. Go figure.

Ask a dozen people what they think of the practice and you will probably get a dozen different answers. The idea of confessing one's personal sins to a priest strikes people as anywhere from therapeutic to just this side of kinky. Personally I've always gone along with Ernest Hemingway's assessment: it isn't as interesting as it sounds.

You can have all sorts of experiences in confessionals. Every Catholic has his stories about the priest who was hard of hearing ("Speak up!" "I SAID I HAD AN AFFAIR!-oops..."), or the one whose command of English wasn't so great. This is where Opus Dei comes in, by the way. And it can make them a popular choice at times.

Actually one of DIH's most memorable experiences in the confessional was with an Opus Dei priest. This was at a time when I was pretty thoroughly out of/fed up with the Church. A well-meaning friend begged me to go with her to an Opus Dei meeting, I went just to be polite, then she threw a wailing fit in the chapel when I said I wasn't interested in going to confession. Really wailing. People were staring. And she wouldn't shut up. "Okay, okay!" I rasped as sotto voce as I could. "I'll go!"

Three minutes later I found myself in the booth. The little door slid back, and a priest with a heavy Spanish accent began the ritual. I interrupted him. "Um, Father, I don't mean to be rude but- I'm really just here to hide from someone."

"Hide? Why?"

I explained.

"I see. And who are you hiding from?"

I told him.

The light dawned. "Oh- oh, her! yes, yes I see. Very emotional girl. Well. Why don't you just stay here for a few minutes, she should be leaving soon. So, what kind of work do you do?"

We chatted amiably for a few minutes, Then the padre said, "I think she's gone now. It was nice talking to you. If you ever feel like coming to confession for real, I'm always here on Tuesdays. But if you do decide to come? I wouldn't tell your friend out there. Have a nice day!"

As I recall, I did end up having a very nice day. I'm not so sure about the friend who dragged me there.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:26 PM

    Way too funny! I went to a young Filipino priest for confession once. way back in college. His command of the English language was pretty shaky - I kept having to repeat myself. Of course I got the giggles, which did NOT help at all. He finally absolved me just to get me out of there.

    *mary*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest thing for me, Confession-wise (besides that whole "humble, contrite and entire" thing) was going after ::cough, cough:: 16 years of skipping the Sacrament. The next hardest thing was going monthly after doing the once-yearly-on-Good Friday thing for a couple of years.

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The most spiritually profitable confessions in Miami are at Gesu, by a renegade bunch of (shhh!!!) orthodox Jesuits. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the Jesuits in Miami wear Roman Collars to disguise themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,

    They wear cassocks.

    SHHHH!!!!!

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. joke ~ you crack me up! Orthodox Jesuits! LOL!

    Actually..there's a few Jesuits I know who are solid, and one who happens to be one of my patron saints (Walter Ciszek).

    Don't tell the S.J.'s! SHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ATD,

    The thing about Miami Jesuits is that Miami is in the Antilles Province, which means these Jesuits came over from Cuba, which further means they have a, um, rather different perspective than the usual Liberation Theology types.

    You haven't lived until you've heard a 21st Century Jesuit say Mass in Latin. (Novus Ordo, but hey, it's a start.)

    I just try to keep it quiet last someone high-ish up in Rome gets all bent outa shape that some renegade Jebbies out there are actually exhibity faithful adherence to the Magisterium.

    So keep this all under your hat!

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:20 AM

    Enjoyed that. Do you want to set up a mutual blog link?

    God bless

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts