Bob Hoskins

One of my favorite British actors, Bob Hoskins, has died at age 71.

In this country he may be best known for playing private detective Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"  I loved him as the kick-ass priest in "A Prayer for the Dying."

But my favorite Bob Hoskins performance of all time was playing Arnie Cole, diamond-in-the-rough filmmaker star of "Flickers."  "Flickers" was a  series about the early days of picture, and hardscrabble Arnie Cole was determined to make it big in the business.  Of course, he didn't have any money, which made it an even bigger challenge.

My favorite line from the series was when Arnie and his partner are trying to come up with a script, but since neither of them can write,  they decide the best thing to do is steal a plot from  "Literature."  (I wish I could reproduce that word in Arnie's Cockney accent. ) The line was, "The thing about literature is, there are lots of great stories in it--"  (beat)  "...if you can get through all this crap!"

I looked on YouTube for bits of "Flickers" but all I could find was this bit.  Stay with the opening credits to get a glimpse of Arnie Cole, cinematic auteur.


Comments

Popular Posts