Lying Awake Annoyed on a Snowy Evening

As a blanket of snow wraps itself around the city, muffling all the humdrum sounds of the streets, I lie in my warm, soft bed at night, pondering the question:

Who is more annoying, people who use their snowblowers at 11 pm, or the ones who rev'em up at 6 in the morning?

Nothing spoils the magic of a snowy winter evenign like the roar of a snowblower. And if you're like me, and you've been trying to tell yourself "snow is MAGIC, dammit! Magic!" ever since you moved here, you really can't afford to have the mood tampered with.

On the other hand, there are the 6 o 'clockers. Granted, they're doing a service by clearing the paths , in bits and stretches anyway. But blasting DIH out of bed is not a service. It's an evil, evil deed.

Go on up to the Great North Woods sometime, where the rich (and in DIH's opinion none-too-bright) build their vacation homes. Mention the word "snowmobile." Hear the torrent of hostility the word brings forth. Those nasty, noisy, smelly things are disturbing our pristine wilderness! And I ought ot be able to afford pristine! Where's my pristine, huh? What am I paying my taxes for? etc.

You never hear that about snowblowers.

My chief beef about snowblowers. of course, I don't have one. Did you ever price snowblowers? Nine hundred bucks for a cheap one. How many Mexican laborers could you hire for nine hundred bucks? It doesn't make sense.

So yes, there's some envy here. Shoveller's envy and all that.

I suppose I'll shovel today, later. Give the city time to call and threaten me with a citation if I don't. They love doing that.

Comments

  1. Ah, snow! Such fond memories I have it as a youth. This is the way it used to be around here. And if this and the next couple winters are like this, lasting until mid-April, I have but one word of advice.

    Sell!

    500,000 people who have moved here from Long Island, Florida, California, Somalia, Mexico, Laos, etc., thinking "Winter ain't so bad", are going to revise that statement and will be immediately packing up for parts southerly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts