Hot Hot Hot

For the past few days MInnesotans have been freaked out by the weather. Here it is October and it hit 87 yesterday. We in the Far North are all in favor of global warming, but this is ridiculous.

Nobody has the right clothes. The summer stuff all gets stashed in August around here, sometimes sooner. DIH herself was quite proud of landing some new corduroy pants and flannel shirts at a discount a few weeks ago. I mean, for once, I was ready.

I should have known I was making trouble. I should have realized that by uncharacteristically having my cold-weather wardrobe ready ahead of time I was virtually guaranteeing my fellow Minnesotans at least a warmish autumn and probably a mild winter as well . This happens all the time. One year I had the foreseight to buy summer sandals in April. Result: spent all of July and half of August in a hospital, where the sandals were not too useful. That was when I vowed never to be ready pre-season again. But I guess I just messed up this year.

The weather is also extremely muggy, and clearly getting on everyone's nerves. Yesterday was the school Fundraising Marathon. It's usually a pretty festive occasion. but everyone I talked to was in a foul mood. They ran out of coffee early, too, which made things even worse.

So I guess it was with a sense of irony that we were all belting out "Angels From the Realms of Glory" at the 11:00 mass. And that the same sense of irony that gave the soloist "Lullay, Lullay" for the meditation.

Merry Christmas, everybody. Cheer up, it's going to get cold soon.

Comments

Popular Posts