How Weird Is This?

"Shark Attacks Woman In Less Than 2 Feet Of Water" (WKMG TV)

"A large bull shark attacked and injured a woman as she stood in less than 2 feet of water at a South Carolina beach.

"Susan Dornquast, who is from Texas, said she was standing near shore at Murrells Inlet in South Carolina when the shark came out of the water and bit her leg.
"I just turned around to look at the waves coming in and that is when the shark came up," Dornquast said. "I felt it hit my leg and thought that was more than water. I looked down and saw the shark swimming off.

"She was taken to a hospital, where she received 40 stitches, the report said.
From the size of the bite mark left on Dornquast, doctors estimate the shark was 5 feet long.

"Marine biologists said the chances of being attacked by a shark are 1 in 11.5 million."

So what, you're asking, is the weird part?

This is:
a. I am pretty sure I am the only blogger in Minnesota who knows exactly where Murrells Inlet is. This is because every year we take a vacation maybe a mile down the beach from there.

b. Who else knows where MI is? The lady who designed my blog's new look. (Hi Lisa!)

c. But this is the weirdest part: does anyone really believe those "1 in 11.5 million" odds? Because I have to tell you I don't. I now know of two- actually it might be three- shark attacks that occurred in my annual vacation place in the past two years. What are the odds of that, huh? Does anyone out there know 2 or possibly 3 lottery winners? Me neither.

I'm beginning to wonder about hitting the Carolinas this year.

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:25 AM

    I was bummed to hear this story--I was looking forward to my first summer here and to doing a lot of swimming at the very spot she was bitten....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this place, but mainly because I know some people who were on Huntington Beach St Park this past week! As an alternative SC beach area, you might consider Edisto Beach, about 30 miles down the coast from Charleston in the other direction: we have been there several times and loved it. And rather than sharks, there are hundreds of dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:56 PM

    I know where MI is too! We used to drive from Ohio down to Hilton Head Island every year for a family vacation (before HHI got so darned crowded!) We traveled up and down the coast of SC and stayed in many quaint towns. Love the nice beaches, and the warm & friendly people. And the food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:08 PM

    It was kinda funny reading these posts because i live about 30 min. to an hour away from the beach. My husband and i go to Huntington Beach every weekend. I love the beach but to ANYONE vacationing here at the beaches. Huntington is the way to go. Even when we get a room in Surfside or MB, we drive down there b/c the beach is so very nice and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts