Designing Housewife

I am longing for a different look for this blog. You know, something with a little, I don't know, zip to it. (I was going to say "pizazz" but I realized I dont' know how to spell "pizzaz.") Something eye-catching, something with at least a whiff of "fabulous" to it.

In search of inspiration I've been blog-browsing. You never know when you might find something worth stealing- uh, emulating.

The Achoress. (www.theanchoressonline.com). A nun in a crisp white habit stands on the parapet- at least I think that's a parapet- of a grey stone medieval castle, looking out over some soft green British Isles countryside. A classy, soothing picture, You don't even notice the nun's wedgie, at first.

Ace of Spades. (www.ace.mu.nu. Well, everybody likes a pirate theme. Nifty quote at the top too. Pity it comes from that gasbag Mencken.

Power Line (www.powerlineblog.com). Love the electronic look but wish they didn't have to resort to a black background. Or maybe the glaring white of the headline is the problem.. Anyway it's kind of harsh on the eyes.

WSJ's Opinion Journal (www.opinionjournal.com). Ew. This one looks like an online manual for your laptop. Not appealing.

Independent Women's Forum (www.iwf.org). If this wasn't specifically a "women's" blog I would think all that lavender was someone's idea of a joke.

Amy Welborn (www.amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook). I wish I liked the picture at the top better. For some reason I find references to "chop suey" depressing. This probably stems from those long Sundays at Grandma's when I was a kid. Oh God, I'm having a flashback... I see the LIE, I see Lefrak City, I see Queens Boulevard!!! I think I feel carsick!!!
But she picked my favorite bit of Flannery O'Connor for her trademark quote, so I guess that makes it all right.

Get Religion (www.getreligion.org) has a cool, classy look. I don't think I qualify for cool-classy.

Hot Air (www.hotair.com). Now that's more like it. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Comments

  1. A lot depends on what you want this blog's look to "say." A lot of blog's templates fairly scream "CATHOLIC BLOG" or "MOMMY BLOG" or something like that.

    You might wanna pop ~$25-$50 for someone to design something all custom-like.

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I really like your calm and restful look. Not everyone likes the flowers and pink "mommy" look -- bleck. Not everyone wants lots of visual punch -- for me it's more like a punch in the nose. I come to your blog to relax and think, not to cringe from overstimulated nerve endings. Love it the way it is. Maybe tanner than greener, but keep it calm, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's torn it, Desperate!

    I'm never going to be able to look at that peaceful photo on the Anchoress's blog without thinking WEDGIE!

    I think I hit it big time by going to Faithmouse for help.

    I've always liked Dawn Eden's "caricature."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts