Oscar Night

The Academy Awards are tonight. I've been trying to drum up some enthusiasm for this annual spectacle, but I have to admit my efforts have been in vain. I'm just not looking forward to it asI have in years past.

Still, this is a good time to review the nominations, try to remember which ones I've seen and make a few predictions.

Best Leading Actor: DiCaprio in Blood Diamond, Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson, Peter O'Toole in Venus and Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland.

Uh-oh, DIH is in trouble already. I havent' seen any of these films. I'd like to see The Last King of Scotland, though. Just the thought of someone making a movie about Idi Amin is pretty amazing.

Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin for LIttle MIss Sunshine, Jackie Earle Haley for LIttle Children, Djimon Hounsou for Blood Diamond , Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls, aand Mark Wahlberg for The Departed.

I've always liked Alan Arkin, and I didnt' see the others, so I'll root for him,

Best Actress in a Leading Role: Four foreigners and Meryl Streep. Go Meryl.

Supporting Actress: the only one I recognize is the little girl from LIttle Miss Sunshine. She was delightful, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Best Documentary is obviously all sewn up. Remember when they gave that Dukakis cousin an Oscar in an election year? 'Nuff said.

But come on. Best Picture? Little Miss Sunshine seems to be the favorite. And if that's the best HOllywood can do, they might as well all get real jobs.

Comments

  1. I only hope Peter O'Toole gets an Oscar, as well as one for Martin Scorcese.

    Otherwise, I see no point to this year's Oscars.

    -J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for Mr. Gore:

    If all of the movie industry pats itself on the back at the same time, will the air displacement create climate changes?

    What about all of the hot air from the speeches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Check out Al Gore's giant carbon footprint!

    http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts